Monday 4 November 2013

Another month past and...

It has been a while (1 month) since I updated the blog, school had been real busy. Now I am serving my half a year (1 semester) of internship. Since I am involved in this 1 year final year project, I will be serving for the school.

Work wise, we are still behind time by around 2 weeks to 1 month. However, on the plus side, I'm churning out rigs faster than ever, and the animators can now start on the animation (actually they already started on the blocking sequence and finished the layout).

I encountered a problem with one of the working files, it usually happened when a non-referenced node is parented underneath a referenced node. This fosterParent node cannot be deleted no matter what, and Google did not really help a lot in removing the thing. The thing was created during one of the modelling stages, I did not check since another person was under that section and I was busy with rigging the main character.

fosterParent nodes
I found no method of safely removing all the assets from the file, I tried exporting all the selected objects. That merely caused the blend shapes and textures to screw up, basically all connections were on fire. However, I found out that instead of exporting, I could do the opposite, import the whole file (it was worth a try since I got this far).

I imported the file into another empty file (Maya's import system still have not worked for the placing of a string for clashing nodes, apparrently it keeps going back to prefixing all nodes.) Once the file has been imported, I can just delete the fosterParent nodes from the outliner with no other problems arising (none that have bothered me anyway in the future).

The problem about these fosterParent nodes is that they mess up the shots files and once the file is referenced in, it cannot be unloaded since it seems to get information from the already existing fosterParent nodes that something is being parented to the referenced in objects. Thus, it created a massive problem while doing the shots, and I had to take control of the situation and solved the problem.

There was also a large number of duplicated orthographic cameras created by some unknown methods. That was the first thing that shocked me when I opened the file, because the outliner was clogged up with that. Second thing is that they are not deletable.

Multiple duplicates of cameras.
For the cameras problem, it is very easy to solve as Google got me some useful sites explaining how to make them deletable through some simple script provided.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/forum/threads/171756-How-to-delete-a-camera?p=1412846#post1412846

schyzomaniac (kudos to him), a member of 3dbuzz forum provided a simple script to make the cameras deletable.

camera -e -startupCamera false persp1;

(name of camera to be deleted to be place at the "persp1" area)

 This script basically (from what I understand from reading it), makes Maya know that the camera is not a startup camera, and that it is not the default scene cameras (persp, top, side, front) and that it is just another normal camera. Thus in the end, one can just press the delete button to delete the extra cameras.

The other code which he provided was: 

lockNode -lock off persp1;

(name of camera to be deleted to be place at the "persp1" area)
 
From what I understand from the script is that this is to unlock the node and make it editable, basically if you want to delete it, one have to free it first

That is all for now, actually spent 2 days on this post,  hope I still have time to update this blog as the project goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment